Some of his statistics are still in the UH record books:
- Tied for 1st in fewest interceptions thrown in a season (3 in 1953)
- Tied for 9th for longest touchdown pass (84 yards to Vic Hampel against Detroit 9/28/51)
- Led team in passing all 3 years (1951 966 yards, 1952 736 yards, 1953 276 yards).
- Led team in total yards in 1952 (702)
More important than his statistics are the many firsts involving Clatterbuck:
- Played in the Cougars 1st bowl game, a 26-21 victory over Dayton in the 1952 Salad Bowl to cap the 1951 season.
- Played on the Cougars first ranked team, #19 on 11/17/1952. UH dropped out of the polls the next week and finished the season unranked despite winning every game after that 1 week they were ranked and winning the Missouri Valley Conference.
- First Cougar to play in the NFL (1954).
- First Cougar on a major manufacturer card (1955 Bowman #141).
Bobby was selected by the New York Giants in the 27th round of the 1954 NFL Draft. He played professional football for 5 years for the Giants and the Los Angeles Chargers.
Today's card is the 1956 Giants Team Issue #6. These cards are 4 7/8" by 6 7/8". The front has a black and white photo of the player with a facsimile autograph. The back has a brief bio and lists career highlights.
These team issue cards are growing on me. I don't think they'd be a perfect fit for a traditional card collection. But because of their larger postcard or photograph size and photograph layout vs card layout, I think they would be great for framing and display purposes.