Wednesday, March 4, 2009

2008-2009 Topps T-51 Murad Mini #145 Clyde Drexler

First Topps based retro cards on classic designs like the 1958 Topps set. Then it copies some of the earliest baseball cards with Allen & Ginter. Then the earliest football cards with Mayo.

Recently Topps copied one of the earliest basketball card sets, the 1910 Murad cigarette cards. Today's card is the Clyde Drexler #145 Mini variation.

I can't decide if I like these or not. I need to see one in person to make a final decision. Some cards you can look at a picture on the internet and know it is amazing. Some you can tell are horrible. Some, like this one, you need to see in person.

I love the pennant. I love the logo. I love the background even though it has nothing to do with basketball. It reminds me of postcards from the 1940s and 1950s.

Some people are suckers for Chrome and Refractor cards. I'm not, but I'm a sucker for art cards whether they are paintings, drawings, or computer modifications of pictures to make it look like a piece of art. For me to enjoy an art card though, it must have some artistic merit, no matter how little, AND it must still resemble the player. I just can't tell enough from web pictures. I think I like these cards, but I reserve judgment.

No comments: